If you are interested in reading the introduction to this article, click here, http://valeriegoldstein.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/2012-empty-calories-is-out-whats-in/.
Every god given food has a nutrient that makes it special. So don’t get yourself stuck in an eating rut! There are so many different vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts to try, it’s impossible to be bored with eating healthy foods. These foods have been selected for the “Foods That Fuel List” because they provide “nutrient bang”, they are loaded with nutrients, for each calorie they provide. Here’s my list of Foods that fuel:
2. Green Tea
3. Tomato Juice
4. Cottage Cheese
5. Eggs (the whole egg and nothing but the whole egg)
6. Free-range beef
12. Seeds: chia/sunflower/pumpkin
13. Nuts: Walnuts/almond butter
15. Dark chocolate
*16. Spices are not considered food or drink but are necessary to mention and should be added in food preparation as often as possible: ginger, mints (peppermint, spearmint, etc.), melissa, chamomile, turmeric, cumin, fennel, cinnamon, vanilla, horseradish, hot paprika, chives, cayenne, pepper, lemongrass and many more
1. Water is necessary for life and yet somehow most people manage to find anything but water to drink. Water is an invaluable asset for every metabolic function in your body and for life itself. Among its many tasks, water helps remove toxins, supports healthy looking skin without any calories at all. Most of us do not drink enough water so shoot for a minimum of 8 glasses/day. Add lemon or lime juice to help reach your Vit. C requirement without the added calories from juice. My first response to my children when they complain of stomach aches is to drink water. They have almost never been constipated and now they are older, they do not complain, they just ask for water. Water never lets us down.
2. Green Tea, 3 cups per day provides 240-320 mg of polyphenols (antioxidants)and has been shown to help protect against high cholesterol, atherosclerosis, a wide variety of cancers, age related mental decline and possibly aid in weight loss. Polyphenols are considered more potent antioxidants than Vit. C.
3. Tomato juice is packed with lycopene (an antioxidant) and vitamins A,C and K this combination provides protection against prostate, lung and stomach cancer, help to reduce high cholesterol and thin blood (careful if you are on coumadin). BTW, it has more than 50% less sugar, carbs and calories than O.J. I’ll take these calories over diet soda any day, http://wp.me/pudS3-9L, http://wp.me/pudS3-9T.
5. Eggs (the whole egg and nothing but the whole egg), check out my blog, “The Yolk is No Joke, http://valeriegoldstein.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/the-yolk-is-no-joke/.
It may take you two weeks to read all this but never the less, the next 5 foods on the list will be posted next week.